As of March 20, 2020
In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic and the significant risk it poses to vulnerable members of every community, we are pre-releasing a website where you can safely serve your neighbors and get help you need, online and in person, available immediately at: https://mutualaid.goldenvolunteer.com/
Therefore, please note that these features are a beta product. Use them at your own risk, but please consider using them to provide aid in this time of need. All standard Mutual Aid products are COMPLETELY FREE.
Be aware of safety and hygiene - both your own and that of the people with whom you will interact. Be aware that Mutual Aid Opportunities may take place in or around private residences or residential neighborhoods.
You Can Help:
Free Platform for High-Priority Volunteering during COVID-19
The concept of "Mutual Aid" is a movement of neighbors helping each other with basic tasks that individuals cannot perform on their own, but enable them to live at a much higher standard. During COVID-19, this can mean delivering meals, checking on others, and performing everyday tasks virtually and in-person.
We hope that this free, easy-to-use, purpose-built site enables organizers to get help to those who need it most faster and more effectively than the email and chat lists we've seen emerge in the last few days. You can find further background in a Medium post.
What is Available Right Now:
At mutualaid.goldenvolunteer.com, anyone can:
- List a need
- Sign up to fulfill a need
"Mutual Aid" needs (or Opportunities) are Volunteer Opportunities created by or on behalf of individuals who are in need of help. These could include:
- A homebound person recovering from surgery needs help with a basic household task
- Patient care providers helping discharged patients receive care from volunteers at home
- A child who lives far away asking, on behalf of an elderly parent, for help taking out their trash
- Religious leaders directing members of their congregations to support others directly
- And any number of things you can think of...
Note: if you already have Golden account credentials, you can use the same login on the Mutual Aid site.
A Mutual Aid opportunity listing can be shared with a link in any social media platform, SMS or email. Like standard Golden Volunteer Opportunities, it includes automatic participation tracking, captures digital waiver signatures, and is GDPR, COPPA, and CCPA compliant.
Golden will be continuously adding safety features, such as live background checking of organizers and participants, in the coming hours and days.
If You Manage a Community...
...or have created a email list or signup form or any other wonderful form of organizing people to help, we have additional FREE tools for you.
- If you are a new Dashboard user, contact us at email@example.com to get set up.
- If you have an existing Dashboard account on Golden and want to create Mutual Aid Opportunities from the Dashboard, go to https://dashboard2.goldenvolunteer.com/ and use your same Dashboard credentials. However, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can turn on the right features.
- A new interface with fun new visuals.
- The UX is not perfect, but the basic functions work.
- Accessing Participant/Volunteer information is a bit jumbled - don't worry, we are providing full contact info in the confirmation and sign-up notification emails.
- The Participants and Settings sections don't work very well (remember, this is a beta product!); we encourage you to ignore these sections.
- You can create and manage Local Opportunities, but we encourage you to manage these in the original Dashboard.
- Note: you can access Mutual Aid Opportunities in the original Dashboard, but we encourage you to only manage them in Dashboard 2.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- I wasn't able to complete an Opportunity I signed up for. What do I do?
The confirmation and reminder emails you were sent have contact information for the Host and Organizer. Please contact them immediately!
- How do I know if the Volunteer completed the Opportunity that I created on behalf of someone else?
The sign-up notification email and the Reminder Email sent to you have contact info for the Volunteer. Please call them directly.
- How do I know if a Mutual Aid opp is safe?
We will be continuously adding safety features, such as live background checking of organizers and participants, in the coming hours and days. In the meantime, we have provided volunteers with contact info for the Hosts and Organizers and vice versa in all the confirmation emails. Please use those to communicate freely.
- I'm a Volunteer - how do I cancel my registration for a Mutual Aid Opportunity?
There is a cancellation link in the Confirmation Email that you received upon sign up. You can also cancel from your profile on mutualaid.goldenvolunteer.com. If you have not yet set up a profile, go to https://mutualaid.goldenvolunteer.com/account/forgot to set up (it will say "Reset" but this acts in the same way) your password.
- I listed a need directly from mutualaid.goldenvolunteer.com - how do I cancel that?
Go to https://mutualaid.goldenvolunteer.com/registrations/filter/active and cancel the Need/Opportunity in question.
No one has signed up for the Mutual Aid Need/Opportunity that I created - what do I do?
First, we'll send you an email 8 hours ahead of the start time of your Opportunity if no one has signed up yet. Second, we encourage you to Share the listing via your own networks - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, email, text, WhatsApp - to make sure it reaches as many people as possible. Third, if you created this on behalf of someone else, please communicate with them so that they are aware that there is not currently someone available to do this. Here at Golden, we are working hard to get as much exposure for your listings as possible, but we cannot guarantee that all needs will be fulfilled.
Golden supports thousands of simple and complex volunteer programs in the USA and beyond. Select clients include grassroots organizations, to United Ways, UNICEF, the State of California, Community Health Charities, even a publicly traded social network, and a global bank.
Golden has been named the Top Way to Serve Your Community by Apple, a World Changing Idea by Fast Company, Webby Honoree for Public Service & Activism, the Global Social Good App of the Year by Facebook, and the Top App to Simplify Your Life by TIME.
We are available for ongoing support in English and Spanish, and can be reached at: email@example.com